Hickory Middle School
You are now in Hawk Country!
Blvd Chesapeake, VA 23322 Phone: 757.421.0468 Fax: 757.421.0475 Email:
Principal: Dr. Debbie Hutchens
Office Hours: 8:00am-4:00pm Monday-Friday School Hours: 8:50am-3:28pm Grade Structure: 6th, 7th, 8th Mascot: Hawks
How we "SOAR the Hawk Way" at HMS
Our vision is to create stimulating learning experiences for children that excite and motivate them to develop into driven knowledge-seekers for life. Our entire educational family vows to commit itself to the differentiated needs of all children so that collaboration compels success aimed at the advancement of every child’s academic, social, and emotional well-being.
Our mission at Hickory Middle School is to develop professional learning communities with a strong, child-centered focus that inspire commitment and collaboration in order to promote educational and digital literacy in a technologically fluent society.
HMS Writing Pledge
I pledge to SOAR into writing!
Meet Our Guidance Counselors!
Helpful Links from Our Guidance Department
Enrollment Steps to Enroll a New HMS Student
Welcome to HMS! The following are the necessary steps to enroll your child:
1. Email HMSHAWKS@cpschools.com to request an enrollment packet. Put “ENROLLMENT PACKET” in the subject line.
2. Call 757-421-0468 to make an appointment with our Guidance Department for enrollment.
3. When you receive the enrollment packet, print all pages and fill them out completely.
4. Page 8, THE AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATION, is needed by the school as soon as possible. This allows us to get the needed information from your child’s last school. Fill out that form and email/scan to HMSHAWKS@cpschools.com or fax to 757-421-0475.
5. Be sure to bring the following to your appointment with Guidance:
a. Completely filled out packet
b. Proof of address. At the school level, HMS can only accept a gas, water or electric bill that shows usage.
c. Birth Certificate
d. Last Report Card
e. Shot Record with PROOF of TDAP
Please note that it may be required for your student to take the Orleans Hanna Assessment to determine math placement at the time of the appointment. No preparation is required.