The mission of Oscar Smith High School is to inspire and empower students
to realize their full potential as life-long learners and productive citizens
in a changing world by providing a variety of challenging educational opportunities
in partnership with students, parents, staff and community in a safe, encouraging
Oscar Frommel Smith High School, an International Baccalaureate
Program World School, proudly hosts 2,100 diversely talented students in
its fifty-fourth year of service to the citizens of Chesapeake, Virginia.
- We believe that students and staff have a right to a safe learning environment.
- We believe in the dignity and worth of every individual.
- We believe that understanding and respect for diversity are essential.
- We believe that every child can learn.
- We believe that all students deserve a quality education that promotes high academic standards.
- We believe that learning is a lifelong process.
- We believe that staff development is essential for quality education.
- We believe that student development and learning opportunities are a shared responsibility among students, parents, staff and community.
- We believe that cohesiveness among school, parents, businesses, organizations, and the community enhances quality education.
- We believe that the schools and the community mutually benefit from the exchange of resources.
- We believe that education is a sound investment in our future and enhances our quality of life.
- Our students will show improvement each year and meet or exceed benchmarks on state assessments.
- Our students will graduate or successfully complete program requirements.
- Out students will be prepared for further education, employment, and civic responsibility.
- Increase school, business, family, community and alumni involvement
- Continue to strengthen communication among school, home and community.
- Improve student achievement both socially and academically.
- Improve student participation in and family and staff support of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Increase student awareness and planning for the future.
- Increase staff ability to manage the inclusion of special education students.
[back to top]
Copyright Chesapeake Public Schools.